If you don’t want to replace your in-car audio system, just buying a brand new set of 6.5 car speakers can transform your audio experience and make it sound like you’ve purchased a new stereo. Often it’s all that’s needed to reduce distortion and improve the clarity everyone wants to hear when playing their favourite music at high volume. With so many 6.5 car speakers to choose from it is pretty hard to make the final decision and often the manufacturer’s guidelines can be overwhelming – sometimes not very easy to understand either.
So if you’re about to embark on buying new 6.5 car speakers don’t do it until you’ve read my secret tips!
- Try and match your in-car audio system to the speakers you are buying or at the very least make sure that your new speakers will be suitably compatible with what you’ve already got in your car.
- Think about the sensitivity of your speakers. This means how much sound your speaker produces from the power applied to it. So, if you have a high powered system of 16 Watts RMS+ look for speakers with low sensitivity and if you have a low powered car stereo of 15 Watts RMS or less then go for a high sensitivity.
- Make sure your speakers are powered properly – so a low powered car stereo will be compatible with speakers which don’t need to handle lots of powers and vice versa.
- Look for speakers with woofers for the low sounds and tweeters for the high sounds so you get plenty of range when listening to your music.
- Make sure your new speakers will fit your vehicle so do your homework first regarding size and where you will be able to place them.
Bearing all the above in mind, here are my three favourite 6.5 car speakers to help you make your final decision:
Kenwood KFC-1665S 300 Watt 2 Way 6.5 Car Speakers
Kenwood always comes high up on my list for car audio equipment and these are ridiculously inexpensive yet still deliver impressive sound.
Easy to mount, they have polypropylene cones which really boost your music so you hear all the range of sound, including bass and treble with amazing clarity. They handle 300 Watts/RMS 30 Watts and look superb with sleek looking grills.
Rockford Fosgate R165X3 Prime 6.5” Full-Range 3 Way Coaxial Speakers
This set of two in-car speakers is another example of where you can buy quality for less. The Rockford Fosgate is one of the most popular set of 6.5 car speakers and boasts tremendous sound at superb value. If you want to replace your factory fitted speakers – you won’t go far wrong.
These also come with polypropylene cones for dramatic sound, a tweeter and plenty of midrange. As with the Kenwood there are smart grills and protective rubber surround plus mounting hardware for ease. These are a high spec and good looking piece of equipment, built to last.
Harman Kardon GTO638 3-Way 6.5 Car Speakers
This pair of speakers is another good value price point, slightly higher in price than the other two mentioned here and they also deliver superlative audio experience. Expect good depth of sound and plenty of clarity without any distortion plus there’s really rich, deep bass because of the woofer cone. These speakers come with a great tweeter too for all those important high notes – you can really hear the high frequency.
In fact, I’d go as far as to say these deliver a home movie-theater experience in your car! With a three way loud speaker, 180 Watts peak power handling and 2 Ohm impedance these are serious speakers! The box includes mounting brackets, grilles, speaker wires and manual and I’d probably choose these over the other two to replace factory fitted speakers if I had to make the choice between these three.